Application Deadline: 16 September 2019
The Jackman Humanities Institute is pleased to open the call for Artists in Residence for the 2020-2021 academic year. Artists typically come for a semester, but may be in residence for the full academic year, and must interact with the campus humanities community, as well as work on a project of their choosing that intersects with the Institute’s 2020-2021 annual theme.
Annual Theme for 2020 – 2021: Collectives
From political parties to literary coteries, from fan groups to sports teams, from terrorist organizations to online groups, our collectives, associations, and communities are multiform and complex. How do we band together and why? In teaming up, how does membership of a collective affect one’s own agency and standing – what do we lose, what do we gain? Can collectives truly be agents and how do group dynamics emerge? How do we balance the interests between collectives, of individuals and collectives, and of the individual within the collective?
All proposals for the 2020-2021 JHI Artist in Residence must come directly from the Chair or Program Director of a humanities/arts&culture unit on the St. George campus of the U of T, outside FAS, and should indicate divisional support for the application. Applications will be adjudicated by the JHI.
Call for Proposals – Instructions for Chairs/Directors
- Please prepare PDFs of all required documents (see list below) for upload to the online application (scroll to the bottom of this page and click on Apply Now!)
- In the application, please complete the information sections as outlined below.
- Please upload the following documents into the portal fields indicated: (Documents must be submitted as PDF files. Maximum file size is 10 mb.)
- Application form (click on Apply Now, starting 3 June 2019)
- Artist CV
- Statement of intent, describing what your unit plans to accomplish through his/her/their residency and how this artist would contribute to the University of Toronto, the Division, and humanities communities (1-2 pages)
- Sample of work (either upload a pdf file as a sample of work, or upload a pdf file that contains links to samples of work online.)
- Sample of recent publications and/or publicity
Information that will be required in your application:
- Residency will take place in: Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or Fall/Winter 2020-2021
- Co-sponsoring Unit
- Unit Chair/Director
- Contact Information for Unit Chair/Director (email address, telephone number)
- Name of Proposed Artist
- Title of Proposed Residency Project
- Proposed Artist’s Primary Discipline
- Proposed Artist’s Secondary Discipline (if applicable)
- Does the proposed artist work with new/electronic media? Yes / No (if yes, details)
- Contact information for proposed artist (email address, telephone number, website)
- Length of proposed residency (4-months Fall 2020/4-months Winter 2021/8-months 2020-2021/other)
- Other Units in the Division with which the proposed artist may be interested in working (required)
- Specific individuals at the University of Toronto (faculty, students) with whom the proposed artist wants to make contact (optional)
- Committed support from the proposing unit and Division: (Shared cost $20,000/Office/Studio/ Teaching)
- If the proposed artist will be teaching as a part of the shared cost commitment, please provide details